Kildonan (exact location will be confirmed upon booking)
| Photo Gallery
| Walk description
This coastal walk follows the scenic Kildonan shoreline to Bennan Head, returning the same way. The early start required to be able to access the tidal Black Cave safely has the benefit of greatly increasing chances of spotting coastal wildlife.
The area is home to a colony of common seals, and with a bit of luck, otters can be glimpsed feeding or resting on the wall-like igneous rock formations reaching out into the sea.
The initially easy although often muddy walk along the shoreline soon turns more adventurous, as a large boulder field must be negotiated to reach the destination of the walk, the Black Cave. Sure-footedness, a good sense of balance and grippy walking boots are necessary for the hands-on scramble to and from the cave, especially in wet weather. The views out across to Ailsa Craig from the impressive cleft, washed into the cliff face of Bennan Head by millennia of crashing waves, are sure worth the toil.
| Advised Kit List
Essential hill gear
- NO jeans – anyone wearing jeans will not be allowed to start the walk, and no refund will be possible
- Stout hill walking boots
- Appropriate walking trousers, top layers and fleece – preferably no cotton layers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) trousers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) jacket
- Spare layers
- Woollen or fleece hat
- Packed lunch and drink - please consider the use of re-useable water bottles and food wrapping.
- Any personal medicines
Other recommended kit
- Sun cream and insect repellent
- Spare socks
- Blister plasters