| Photo Gallery
| Walk description
This walk starts at Catacol, but instead of following the main path up the glen, we climb through native coastal woodland to the south to gain the promontory of Creagan nan Gobhar. From there we ascend our main peak of the day, Meall nan Damh (570m), our exertions rewarded by views unfolding of the Kintyre peninsula, the Paps of Jura and Arran’s northern hills. Expect few other walkers to stray onto this Marilyn, which should increase our chances of encountering mountain wildlife such as birds of prey, red deer and golden plover.
Descending Meall nan Damh, we then take in the bump of Meall Bhig, before heading down to the crystal-clear waters and white beaches of Coire Fhionn Lochan, from where a good hillpath takes us back to the coast at Thunderguy.
| Advised Kit List
Essential hill gear
- NO jeans – anyone wearing jeans will not be allowed to start the walk, and no refund will be possible
- Stout hill walking boots
- Appropriate walking trousers, top layers and fleece – preferably no cotton layers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) trousers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) jacket
- Spare layers
- Woollen or fleece hat
- Packed lunch and drink - please consider the use of re-useable water bottles and food wrapping.
- Any personal medicines
- For the Goat Fell night walk: Head torch and spare batteries
Other recommended kit
- Sun cream and insect repellent
- Spare socks
- Blister plasters