| Walk description
The session will out to an area suitable for practising map and compass skills in a fun and hands-on way. Where it will take place will be determined by the conditions on the day, but it will be off-path for at least some of it, quite possibly in a less frequented area of Arran.
The pace will be quite slow as the focus will be on reading the landscape, comparing what can be seen on the ground and on the map, practising setting and walking on compass bearings and trying out timing and pacing as well as other mountain navigation techniques.
At the end of the day, participants will hopefully feel more confident about having a go at using map and compass to navigate in the hills, an essential skill for walking in the British mountains.
| Advised Kit List
Essential hill gear
- NO jeans – anyone wearing jeans will not be allowed to start the walk, and no refund will be possible
- Stout hill walking boots
- Appropriate walking trousers, top layers and fleece – preferably no cotton layers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) trousers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) jacket
- Spare layers
- Woollen or fleece hat
- Packed lunch and drink - please consider the use of re-useable water bottles and food wrapping.
- Any personal medicines
Other recommended kit
- Sun cream and insect repellent
- Spare socks
- Blister plasters