| Photo Gallery
| Walk description
Where this session will take you will be determined by the weather on the day, but it’s likely to be off-path for at least some of it, quite possibly in a less frequented area of Arran.
The pace will be quite slow as the focus will be on reading the landscape, comparing what you can see on the ground and on the map, practising setting and walking on compass bearings, having a go at timing and pacing as well as other mountain navigation techniques.
At the end of the day, you will hopefully feel more confident about having a go at using map and compass to navigate in the hills, an essential skill for walking in the British mountains.
| Advised Kit List
Essential hill gear
- NO jeans – anyone wearing jeans will not be allowed to start the walk, and no refund will be possible
- Stout hill walking boots
- Appropriate walking trousers, top layers and fleece – preferably no cotton layers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) trousers
- Waterproof (not showerproof) jacket
- Spare layers
- Woollen or fleece hat
- Packed lunch and drink - please consider the use of re-useable water bottles and food wrapping.
- Any personal medicines
- For the Goat Fell night walk: Head torch and spare batteries
Other recommended kit
- Sun cream and insect repellent
- Spare socks
- Blister plasters